Welcome!

Welcome to my personal travel journal! If you don't know me, that's OK! I hope you'll enjoy reading about some of my adventures and misadventures, and hopefully learn something new about a corner of the world.

Recent updates:
2015-10-06: Day 8 of Niue in 2011.
2015-10-05: Day 7 of Niue in 2011.
2015-09-29: Day 6 of Niue in 2011.

For list of trips, see TABLE OF CONTENTS.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

A third name for Niue, given by captain James Cook, is Savage Island. The story goes that the natives appeared to have blood on their lips and faces when Cook arrived, but it turned out to be "hulahula," a type of red banana. It's amusing to note that Cook's "Savage Island" was filled with what would probably have been friendly natives, while the inhabitants of his "Friendly Islands" were plotting to kill him during his visit. I guess that goes to show that appearances can be deceiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment